Monday, July 5, 2010

Who is to blame for the "Hand of God"???

Nobody in the group has blogged about the world cup hence I thought I would write my blog about the 2010 soccer world cup. I am sure some of you will definitely be interested...:-) I wanted to check with you guys if the goal saved by Uruguayan striker by handballing was ethical and who is to be blamed for it? I am not sure if Luis, the Uruguayan striker, was aware of his actions or if he did it purposely. I would say it was not ethically and he was punished for that incident by handing out the red card and sending him out immediately. Everything happned by the FIFA rule book but I would still question the rules of the game. By FIFA rules if a player handballs purposely to save or score a goal then he is punished by showing a red card and a 1 game ban. The fault lies there instead of the players morality. In my opinion FIFA is allowing the cheating to happen and is even rewarding for cheating. In this case Uruguay was rewarded by not awarding the goal to Ghana. The governing body should create an environment and rules for the game to be played ethically. FIFA can and should try technology to detect fouls and offsides which are questionable. There are many others sports which award the points instead of the penalty shoot in soccer. In the game of cricket if you purposely or mistakenly put your leg in front of the wickets(or base) you are decleared out. And technology is used in cricket to ascertain the ball trajectory and make the decision. Even in basketball the basket is awarded if the ball was almost going inside the basket.If it were to be in Rugby, it would be called "Penalty Try", but in football, if you're luck, a penalty would be given and the chances of you scoring is 50%!Cheating happens in all sports but if the rules are correctly set and there are harsh penalties for infractions, cheating can be avoided and games can be played fairly.The whole world is talking about how Uruguayan striker cheated but no one is talking about taking appropriate action to mend the rules so that such incidences dont occur in the future!!!

6 comments:

  1. HAHA GOOD LUCK TO EVERY TEAM OF 2010 soccer world cup, ALTHOUGH I DONT UNDERSTAND WHY PEOPLE ARE SO CAZY ON IT

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw that game, I think when they are playing such an important game and the the other team is about to score, it's very hard to think about the rules, I don't think its cheatig so much as a reaction.... Anyway, I'm rooting for Spain, hopefully they play better so they can beat Germany. VIVA LA FURIA ROJAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Unmesh, interesting thoughts. I actually thought the play by the Uruguayan was smart. His team is still in the tournament because of what he did. I think a penalty kick is actually converted over 80% of the time, but in the 120th minute of a knock out match you don't have much of a choice but to prevent the ball going into the net by any means. I actually got a red card for the very same thing in my playing days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love world cup!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Spain finally won the World Cup, and I was rooting for them. Ole! I still will comment, though:
    I find it interesting that some of you say that a handball at the goal line is fine because it's part of the game. I think that the rule should be changed (but I know it won't be). I believe the rule should be similar to the NBA rule: That is, when a shot to the goal is pushed away as it enters the basket, the goal is awarded anyway. That should force the footballers to think twice about using their hands.

    ReplyDelete